Warning: Parameter 2 to WPE\Site_Preview::the_posts() expected to be a reference, value given in /home1/waf6ce0adwqa/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 286
Netflix’s Nina Simone documentary, What Happened, Miss Simone? is set to premiere June 26th. Shortly following the film’s release, is a full-length album entitled Nina Revisited: A Tribute to Nina Simone. The project includes a compilation of Nina Simone’s records covered by artists such as Lauryn Hill, Common, Mary J. Blige, Usher, Jazmine Sullivan, and more.
By the looks of the track list, Hill has made the most contributions with a total of six covers on the album. Thanks to Rolling Stone, Hill’s rendition of Nina Simone’s 1965 classic “Feeling Good” is available for all to hear.
In a statement to Rolling Stone, Hill said:
“Because I fed on this music, both hers and lovers like her, like my basic food, I believed I always had a right to have a voice. Her example is clearly a form of sustenance to a generation needing to find theirs. What a gift.”
Listen to the sultry track above. Nina Revisited: A Tribute to Nina Simone is scheduled to release July 11th.
Here’s the track list for the album.
- Lisa Simone, “Nobody’s Fault but Mine (Intro)”
2. Ms. Lauryn Hill, “Feeling Good”
3. Ms. Lauryn Hill, “I’ve Got Life” – Ms. Lauryn Hill
4. Ms. Lauryn Hill, “Ne Me Quitte Pas” – Ms. Lauryn Hill
5. Jazmine Sullivan, “Baltimore”
6. Grace, “Love Me or Leave Me”
7. Usher, “My Baby Just Cares For Me”
8. Mary J. Blige, “Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood”
9. Gregory Porter, “Sinnerman”
10. Common & Lalah Hathaway, “YG&B”
11. Alice Smith, “I Put A Spell On You”
12. Lisa Simone, “I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl”
13. Ms. Lauryn Hill, “Black Is The Color Of My True Love’s Hair”
14. Ms. Lauryn Hill, “Wild Is The Wind”
15. Ms. Lauryn Hill, “African Mailman”
16. Nina Simone, “I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free”