Suge Knight has been ordered to stand trial on murder and attempted-murder charges after the former rap mogul struck two men with his pickup truck outside a Compton fast food joint before driving away back in January, killing one and seriously injuring the other.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Ronald Coen made the ruling earlier today (Apr. 16), after finishing a hearing that focused heavily on testimony from Cle “Bone” Sloan, the man who was injured by Knight.
Knight’s bail was also reduced from $25 million to $10 million, and one of the counts from the fatal hit and run has been dropped.
Sloan told detectives that he attacked Knight but testified Monday (Apr. 16) that he did not remember the fight and didn’t want to be a “snitch.” Prosecutors played Sloan’s statement to police, which provided a detailed account of the events that led up to the incident. Authorities believe Knight intentionally hit the two men, killing Terry Carter, 55, while Knight’s attorney, Matt Fletcher, says his client was ambushed and was trying to escape when he ran over the men.
L.A. court reporter Matt Reynolds tweeted from the courthouse earlier today:
"It was not an attempt to escape. It was an attempt to murder," Judge Ronald Coen says. #SugeKnight
— Matt Reynolds (@mreynoldswriter) April 16, 2015
Surveillance video of the deadly encounter leaked last month. Knight has pleaded not guilty on all counts.
If convicted, he faces up to life in prison. His arraignment is scheduled for Apr. 30.