So Robin Thicke has been in the news a lot lately for his latest album. Paula, rightfully named after his separated wife, isn’t doing too hot in its June 30, 2014 release. It actually only sold 24,000 units in the United States. Ouch! Compare that to his previous album, and your jaw will drop. But hey, it’s probably doing better overseas right? Wrong. Thicke only sold 530 copies in the UK during the albums first week. Double ouch! Well in honor of this guy’s failures, why not talk about his accomplishments/life? YAY! So let’s get started.
Here are 15 Facts You Should Know About Robin Thicke
1. He isn’t usually unsuccessful in the moneymaking business. Last year, his album Blurred Lines sold 177,000 copies its first week out. The song was basically every one’s summer anthem, and if it wasn’t you probably hated it so much, you bought a copy just to show people how much you hate it.
2. He is the son of famous celebs, Gloria Loring and Alan Thicke.
3. In 2006, “Lost Without U” was his first big hit song. It went double platinum, and put him on the map. #ThrowbackThursday
4. He was married to Mission Impossible actress Paula Patton for eight years. They started dating when they were both teenagers. Last year, they announced that they were splitting up after all this time. Many speculations came out that Robin cheated on the beauty, but nothing was confirmed. All we know is that he’s trying very hard to ‘Get Her Back.‘
5. He’s actually a decently old guy, 37 years old. I think that’s pretty old for a guy in this business to still be relevant. So you go Robin Thicke!!
6. His VMA performance with Miley Cyrus is INFAMOUS. He looks like the biggest creep.
7. Brian McKnight signed Robin to a production company giving him his platform. With this connection, Interscope took notice. He is one of today’s biggest soul/adult contemporary artists.
8. He loves collaborating (and we love when he does too). Artists he’s written and produced for Brandy, Christina Aguilera, Marc Anthony, Pink, Michael Jackson and more.
9. He used to look like a homeless man!
10. Around the time he released his single ‘When I Get You Alone’ off of A Beautiful World, he used to go by just “Thicke.” We’re so glad he didn’t keep it like that.
11. In 2005, he won his first Grammy! He worked on Usher’s Confessions album, which won three awards during the night. He also plays the piano in Usher’s hit “Love in this Club.”
12. At the age of just 12, he taught himself how to play piano. And at 16, he was writing producing for artists.
13. As if his family couldn’t get more successful/creative, Uncle Todd Thicke is an executive producer of America’s Funniest Home Videos. Apparently this family doesn’t sleep.
14. Who knew that Robin appeared on television shows! An actor too? This guy does it all. Back in the day, he was on episodes of “The Wonder Years” and “The New Lassie.”
15. Robin Thicke is half Canadian, one of his only flaws aside from letting Paula Patton leave him.